We assembled a committee of five parents and seven staff members who represented varying viewpoints. Together, we researched the history of the dress code, examined its current practice, and designed a community survey to find out what best suited the needs of our students and families.
Over 300 parents and staff members participated in our anonymous survey last Spring and then a dozen more parents attended our face-to-face focus group meetings. We were so pleased to hear your thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences with our standardized dress code.
After carefully weighing several considerations, our Farmington Dress Code Committee has decided to move forward with repealing the standardized dress code and moving to the more generalized GMSD dress code .
What does that mean for your family?
You will have much more freedom in what your students wear to school beginning in the fall. The GMSD dress code covers both practical and common sense rules for dress, such as inappropriate clothing for school or items that distract from the learning environment.
Please review the GMSD Dress Code:
(copied directly from GMSD Policy 6310)
The standards for Germantown Municipal Schools dress reflect “common sense” and a concern for each child’s comfort, safety, cleanliness, and sense of modesty. There is a strong relationship between neat, appropriate attire and a positive learning environment. Apparel or appearance that tends to draw attention to an individual, rather than to a learning situation, must be avoided.
Germantown Municipal School District Dress Code
Apparel or appearance that tends to draw attention to an individual rather than to a learning situation must be avoided. In matters of opinion, the judgment of the principal/designee shall prevail.
To help create the best learning environment for students, the following standards for student dress must be observed in all Germantown Municipal Schools:
- Pants must be worn at the waist, must be appropriately sized, and at a safe length.
- Shirts, blouses, and dresses must completely cover the abdomen. Shirts or tops must cover the waistband of pants, shorts, or skirts with no midriff visible. Low-cut or strapless blouses, shirts or tops are prohibited.
- Head apparel except for religious or medical reasons, must not be worn inside the school building.
- Footwear is required and must be safe and appropriate for indoor or outdoor physical activity.
- Clothing and accessories such as backpacks, patches, jewelry, protective masks/face coverings and notebooks must not display (1) racial or ethnic slurs/symbols, (2) gang affiliations, (3) vulgar, subversive, or sexually suggestive images; nor should they promote products which students may not legally buy, such as alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs.
- For students in Grades 3-12, shorts or skirts must be fingertip length.
- Prohibited items include (1) large, long, and/or heavy chains, (2) studded or chained accessories, (3) sunglasses, except for health purposes, (4) sleepwear, pajamas and blankets.
The school administration reserves the right to determine whether the student’s attire and appearance are within the acceptable limits. In matters of opinion, the judgment of the principal/designee shall prevail.
The principal may allow exceptions in special circumstances or occasions such as holidays, school-wide programs, or special performances and may further prescribe dress in certain classes such as physical education, vocational classes, and science labs.
Any student whose appearance or attire is not in accordance with the policy shall be subject to the consequences as defined by the school administration.
This policy does not preclude individual schools from piloting alternative dress policies or standards with permission from the Superintendent after extensive consultation with parents, teachers, and students. Any deviation from the system-wide policy must be submitted in writing to the Superintendent/designee for review following Germantown Municipal Schools Policies and Procedures for Voluntary by School Standardized Dress Guidelines.